Growing Together in the Light

A place for Friends and others to explore Quakerism. A place where, in the Light that comes from God, we may all grow and where we may hope to find a unity that underlies our diversity of language.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts, United States

Raised a Friend, I am currently a member of Fresh Pond Meeting in Cambridge, Mass. I am also active in Salem Quarterly Meeting and in New England Yearly Meeting.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

A prayer

Last week I as at a residency for the Way of Ministry program of the School of the Spirit. During our worship, I was given a prayer whose words were close to this:

Oh God,

“If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.”

When men flew to the moon, you were with them. When they beheld the beautiful and delicate home that you have made us, rising over the moonscape, their hearts were filled with joy and awe.

If men and women fly to Mars, you will greet them there.

If the aliens from Alpha Centauri land in their flying saucers, when they disembark, we will behold the faces of your children.

Your hold us and comfort us in our deepest grief. In our joy, you laugh with us.

God, help us to find you and feel you and know you in the most difficult place of all, in the ordinariness and routine of our daily lives.

Amen.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Elizabeth Bullock-Rest said...

Will, your prayer spoke so deeply to my heart, I posted it on the Fayetteville Yahoo e-group list so other Quakers here in the Ozark Mountain region of Arkansas could enjoy it too.

Appreciate you,
Elizabeth Bullock-Rest

April 24, 2009 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home