Growing Together in the Light

A place for Friends and others to explore Quakerism. A place where, in the Light that comes from God, we may all grow and where we may hope to find a unity that underlies our diversity of language.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts, United States

Raised a Friend, I am currently a member of Fresh Pond Meeting in Cambridge, Mass. I am also active in Salem Quarterly Meeting and in New England Yearly Meeting.

Friday, February 27, 2009

An unexpected journey

Let me tell you about my friend Bill. He is the gentlest and most self-aware person I know. I have known him for almost 30 years. We both attended Cambridge Meeting and our families both came to Fresh Pond Meeting when it started 20 years ago because we were seeking a more intimate spiritual community. Our kids grew up together. They commiserated with each other about how their parents were always the first to come and the last to leave. When I started leading workshops and traveling, he served as an elder for me and a traveling companion.

We have been participating in the Way of Ministry program of the School of the Spirit this year. We have enjoyed the opportunities to travel to Philadelphia together and to share the experience. Now I have become his traveling companion on a journey that neither one of us expected. In the beginning of January he shared with our support committee that he was going to have a CAT scan the next day because of some neurological symptoms he was experiencing. What they found was an inoperable tumor growing deep in his brain.

He is undergoing radiation and chemotherapy treatments and some of his symptoms have improved. It has been a privilege to see the courage and grace with which he is facing his situation. He talks about his sense of the presence of God with him. He tells about waking in the night and taking his sleeping bag and sitting on his deck watching the stars and being filled with joy. Just being with him, I have learned a lot about what is real and what is not. We had been looking forward to opportunities to share our journeys together. This is not the journey we had been expecting to take together now.

Please pray for Bill and his family.

Blessings to all.

Will T

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

You and Bill are in my prayers...

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

February 28, 2009 9:49 PM  
Blogger Cat C-B (and/or Peter B) said...

Thank you for sharing this. Of course I will be praying for you and for Bill. {{hug}}

March 01, 2009 2:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I like this entry- and what you said in Meeting this morning really spoke to me. Although nothing like a tumor, I often feel like medical school is the journey I want/ don't want to be on too. The Truth is so frightening and difficult, but also full of Light. It is good to embrace more- with support. I'm praying too.

March 01, 2009 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home