Growing Together in the Light

A place for Friends and others to explore Quakerism. A place where, in the Light that comes from God, we may all grow and where we may hope to find a unity that underlies our diversity of language.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts, United States

Raised a Friend, I am currently a member of Fresh Pond Meeting in Cambridge, Mass. I am also active in Salem Quarterly Meeting and in New England Yearly Meeting.

Monday, September 08, 2008

God helps me with my homework

Last week I attended the first residency of the Way of Ministry Program of the School of the Spirit at Pendle Hill. During my first peer group session I shared about a difficult experience in my ministry. At almost the end of the time a Friend asked if I had considered forgiveness for the people involved and for myself. I said that I had not and that I would have to take this up as a homework assignment.

Every morning we started with meeting for worship. The next morning I walked into meeting with my half-finished mug of coffee from breakfast still in my hand. The moment my butt touched the cushion a prayer came to me “God help me pray for my enemies.” This was a real surprise to me. First of all I usually spend the first moments in worship settling myself physically, mentally and spiritually. So here God was giving me a prayer right off of the top. The second surprising thing was that I don't usually think of myself as having enemies. I get along with most people. I try to be agreeable and to find common ground. The third and most surprising thing was that I knew immediately who the people were that I needed to pray for. These were not enemies in the abstract but specific people in my life.

The image I have always held about enemies was that they were the armies that were invading my country. People did not become enemies until they committed some extreme act of aggression against me or a group I identified with. It was even better if they were abstract and generalized. Then I thought about how wars really happen. A country becomes your enemy before the battle start. They have already become your enemy when you start planning for the battle. It starts when you start thinking about the other as totally alien. It starts when you decide that the other needs to be overcome by whatever means are necessary. Having an enemy has nothing to do with what the other has done. It is all about your attitude towards them.

I thought about myself and I thought about Friends in general. I find myself asking if George Bush and Dick Cheney are our enemies. How about John McCain? How about fundamentalist Christians or homophobes? Are Barack Obama and liberal democrats the enemy? Or liberal Friends? How about non-theist Friends or pagan Friends? Are they the enemy?

So here was God not only reminding me of my assignment but helping me get started.

Later in the week I was talking with my prayer partner about what we might do between residencies. I said that praying for people was not part of my regular practice. For whatever reason it was not something that I usually did. But I said that I would work on doing so, that it seemed like a useful discipline to undertake. I would take this as homework. I really should learn faster.

The next day in worship I sat down and from the beginning I found myself picturing one of the people from my list of enemies being surrounded by white light. I hate the phrase “hold something or someone in the Light.” It seems like a phrase used by liberal Friends who are nervous about the idea of prayer. When I am feeling curmudgeonly I think, “Just come out and ask us to pray for this.” Holding someone in the Light smacks too much of somehow the outcome is our doing. Praying is acknowledging that whatever happens it is God who has done the work. And here I was literally holding my enemy in the Light. I found myself praying for their healing – not even knowing what they might need to be healed from but knowing that we all bear wounds that need healing. I found myself praying that God's grace come into this persons life in whatever way God wanted. I did not want healing for them so that they would start doing what I wanted them to do. I found myself asking for the best that God has to offer. Throughout that meeting for worship, whenever I found myself straying, I returned to the image of this face framed with white light and it powerfully recentered me. I knew that there were other people I needed to pray for but I felt that God would lead me to that. There were people I was not yet ready to pray for. Since then some of those names have been added to my prayers.

When I got home I started reading If Grace is True by Phillip Gulley and James Mulholland. I picked it up because it was an easy read, it is relatively short and it is not on the Way of Ministry reading list for the next residency. It seems that it was on the reading list for the School of Christ. It speaks powerfully to the grace of God. It is reinforcing the work of forgiveness that is at work in me. It also reinforces for me that I will be doing this work with God all of the way. I will not be doing this by my will or strength. This is good because both are inadequate to the task.

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing that others? Do not event the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. [Matthew 5:44-48]
Blessings to all,
Will T

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cat C-B (and/or Peter B) said...

Will, thank you.

I think you know that forgiveness is something I struggle with a lot. This post is helpful to me.

It also makes me hungry to spend time with you in prayer; I'm realizing how I miss that aspect of yearly meeting. Not sure why monthly meeting isn't feeling like it meets the same need--important as it is. But there was some essential nutrient I was taking in at NEYM this year, and reading this post makes me remember how important it is to me, though I can't quite name it.

Thanks so much for writing this.

And, at the risk of sounding like a silly liberal Friend, I'm holding you in the Light right now--not so much praying for anything specific, but holding you and the friendship I feel toward you up to God, and trusting God to carry it. (After years of highly directed Wiccan magic, I find the releasing aspect of "holding in the Light"--not even needing to have an intention of my own, but trusting God even in that--to be very freeing and good.)

Anyway. Be well. And thanks.

September 14, 2008 8:37 PM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Will,

It sounds as if the Spirit is working in you and that you are being transformed in some important way.

I value conversations and exchanges among Friends in which we share these sorts of deep, mystical experiences. I sometimes worry that we spend too much time idolizing our unprogrammed meetings for worship and not enough time bearing witness to the Power in our lives. It's always a balance, of course.

I'm also glad that the Way of Ministry program will provide you with additional opportunities to practice such disciplines and will help you continue to be sustained in your faith.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

October 08, 2008 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i see the first clear and normal view on homework especially at children's homework.
It really has to be canceled totally due to the fact that teachers dont wish to teach but wish only to check only how you do your homework. That's the result: tons of paper work, zero knowledge.

September 12, 2016 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and it very interesting story from you. Before, I needed help in my homework too, but now I know how to write a 500 word essay fast. This service very useful and will help everyone who will need some help.

October 05, 2017 4:04 AM  
Anonymous Neil Williams said...

Nowadays accounting homework problems getting tougher just because some students are unable to manage their time for homework and also some students have less knowledge of accounting that's why they failed to complete their homework in this situation they can take help from reliable economics homework help to get their accounting homework done on time.

November 09, 2021 12:33 AM  
Blogger Leo Oliver said...

Economics assignment expert provides you with a number of information to help you complete your assignment more quickly. These are your actual rescuer due to a lack of understanding of assignment structure, citation systems, formatting guidelines, and other factors, students struggle to get acceptable grades. If you are seeking for the best complete my Economics Assignment Help , Choose our best services.

February 01, 2022 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home