Growing Together in the Light

A place for Friends and others to explore Quakerism. A place where, in the Light that comes from God, we may all grow and where we may hope to find a unity that underlies our diversity of language.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts, United States

Raised a Friend, I am currently a member of Fresh Pond Meeting in Cambridge, Mass. I am also active in Salem Quarterly Meeting and in New England Yearly Meeting.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Quaker Quaker blog carnival

Thank you Martin Kelley for QuakerQuaker. I don't remember now how I came across QuakerQuaker in my browsing but it was a happy day when I did. I recognized some of the people, like Rich the BrooklynQuaker from back in my time with New Swarthmoor. Some like Amanda, I had met at New England Yearly Meeting. I remembered Marshall and Johan from my days on the Quaker email lists. Then there was LizOpp and RobinM who I got to know on line first, and then have had the pleasure to meet in the real world, too. Since Quaker circles are so small, I can hold out hope that I can meet others as time goes on. But Cherise, I will miss your visit to Boston because you are coming to give your talk on the same day my daughter graduates from Haverford.

The other joy is seeing people exploring Quakerism with a real desire to learn from each other and to get to know each other in the Divine and to get to know the Divine in each other. It gives me hope that, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, that Friends can indeed learn to live together. Many years ago I felt a call to revitalize the Society of Friends. It seemed a pretty audacious idea at the time, but now I see that other people have been hearing and heeding a similar call. Even though we do not meet face to face, I have found refreshment and encouragement in the writings I have found on these blogs. I have also been helped by those people I disagree with because I have had to learn to listen (and read) better and to feel down beneath other people's words. I have also had opportunities to think about what I have said and to see where I may have fallen short of the Truth myself. So thank you readers and thank you bloggers and thank you friend Martin for providing a way for us to find each other in the byways of the Internet.

Will T

3 Comments:

Blogger forrest said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 26, 2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger forrest said...

I wouldn't have commented, except that I too have felt a concern for "revitalizing" the Society of Friends, about which I wrote a couple long cryptic pieces (see archives at http://sneezingflower.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

and while I'm at it, here's my usual announcement that we need more people
to person the blog at http://kwakerskripturestudy.blogspot.com/

Studying the scriptures together does not give us "the answers in the back of the book," but it can get us working on the right problems. It doesn't even need to be the Christian scriptures, but these are what we all have available--and have been largely ignoring and/or misunderstanding.

April 26, 2007 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Jacob Arroyo said...

Nice blog, thanks for posting

January 30, 2024 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home